Westmoreland Events: Car Show, Strawberry Festival, etc.
Nonprofit organization submissions for Briefly Speaking can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Briefly Speaking, 210 Wood St., Tarentum, Pa. 15084. Include a full address and a phone number during the day. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each advertisement is printed once; there are no fees.
• Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 331 Weldon Street, Latrobe, will have its 21st annual car-hop from noon to 5 p.m. June 5 in the Main and Weldon Street parking lots. Vehicle registration is $5. Those who register by Friday will receive a $5 coupon to purchase food. Parking spaces will not be maintained. The first 150 vehicles registered will receive a dashboard plate, and there will be trophies and door prizes. Proceeds will go to the church’s youth ministry. Registration and details: 724-537-4450 or [email protected]
• West Newton First Church of God will sponsor a Strawberry Festival from 4-7 p.m. Thursday at the Lions Field House, 507 Pittsburgh St. Menu: hot dogs, sauerkraut, sloppy Joes, pulled pork, baked beans, potato salads and macaroni, cake and strawberries. Dine in or take away. Takeout orders: 724-875-7738.
• The YWCA will sponsor a summer book sale through June 30 at the centre, 424 N. Main St., Greensburg. Cost: 25 cents per book. Opening hours: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on June 16 and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on June 4.
• The West Newton Library, 124 N. Water St., is seeking donations of gently used paperback and hardback books, DVDs and audio discs for its upcoming book sale. No cookbooks, encyclopedias or manuals. Opening hours: noon to 5 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, noon to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. Details: 724-633-0798.
• Adams Memorial Library, 1112 Ligonier St., Latrobe, will sponsor the Palmer Summer Reading program from June 1 to August 31. Details and registration: adamslib.org.
• The West Newton Public Library Summer Reading Program will be held from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on June 15, 22, and 29 at the West Newton Lions Field Pavilion, 511 Pittsburgh St. Young children must be accompanied by a relative. There will be a snack, reading, a craft and guest readers. Rain or shine. Reservations required at 724-633-0798 or [email protected]